The HESI Entrance Exam is used by Nursing Programs nationwide as a tool to help them screen applicants. The test is also referred to as the HESI Admissions Assessment Exam or the HESI A2.
About The HESI Entrance Exam
The HESI A2 consists of both an academic portion and a personality portion. There are eight subtests that make up the academic portion of the exam: math, reading, vocabulary, grammar, biology, physics, anatomy and physiology and chemistry. The personality portion of the exam consists of two sections: the Learning Style Assessment and the Personality Profile. Not all Nursing schools choose to make their applicants take all of the sections of the exam. Additionally, each school also maintains their own criteria for admissions and required minimum scores.
Recommended HESI A2 Study Tools
Practice Tests – HESI A2 Practice Tests from Test-Guide.com
HESI A2 Online Study Program – Recommended HESI prep course by BoostPrep.com. Includes study guide and over 900 practice questions.
HESI A2 Content
The HESI A2 content exams are detailed below:
- Reading Comprehension – The reading test questions evaluate a student’s ability to comprehend health related reading passages. There are 47 questions and students are given one hour to complete. Students must understand word meanings, identify main themes, create logical inferences, and understand passages.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge – Students are presented with various vocabulary words and expected to determine their definitions. Many of the vocabulary words are health related. Students are given 50 minutes to answer 50 questions.
- Grammar – Students must display their knowledge of basic grammar concepts. Students must show their comprehension of parts of speech, typical grammar errors, and important grammatical concepts. The HESI grammar test is 50 questions and students are given 50 minutes to complete.
- Math – The HESI math questions evaluate a candidate’s knowledge of basic mathematical concepts. The math skills tested typically have some correlation to health related scenarios. Students are expected to have a strong grasp of the following math skills: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, proportions, ratios, and decimals. Questions will also be presented on roman numbers, calculating dosages, household measures, and conversions. The exam is 50 minutes long and consists of 50 questions.
- Physics – The physics test will cover general physics concepts such as: rotation, friction, gravitation, energy, average speed, Newton’s Laws of Motion, projectile motion, light, optics and acceleration. Test takers are given 50 minutes to answer 25 questions. The physics test is usually only required for Nursing programs that require Physics as a pre-requisite course.
- Biology – The biology questions are focused on general biology topics including: biology basics, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, metabolism, biological molecules, and cells. The HESI biology exam contains 25 questions and students are given 25 minutes to complete. The biology test is not required by all Nursing programs.
- Anatomy and Physiology – The Anatomy and Physiology test is often referred to as the A&P exam. The A&P exam evaluates a student’s understanding of fundamental Anatomy and Physiology concepts such as: anatomical systems, structures and general terminology. Students are given 25 minutes to complete 25 questions. The A&P exam is not required by all Nursing schools.
- Chemistry – Students knowledge of general Chemistry principles are assessed. Specifically, students are quizzed on: the periodic table, chemical equations, atomic structure, chemical bonding, nuclear chemistry and chemical reactions. The exam is 25 minutes long and consists of 25 questions. The chemistry exam is usually only required by Nursing schools that require chemistry as a pre-requisite.
Nursing Schools may also require students to complete a personality style and learning style assessment. The Learning Style assessment consists of 14 questions which must be completed in 15 minutes. The Personality Style assessment is a 15 minute exam that consists of 15 questions.
One of the best ways to prepare for the HESI entrance exam is through the use of practice exams. See our directory of HESI practice exams to get started.